Conviction Records and Admission to Foreign Countries 2018-01-22T12:11:11-06:00

One consideration for any kind of travel to a foreign country is their guidelines and regulations as to who can come into their country.

In many countries, if you have a criminal conviction in your country, you will not be allowed in their country. This includes arrival by cruise ship.

In some situations, a misdemeanor in the United States is a reasons that another country may deny you entry. For example, a driving under the influence offense in Canada is considered a criminal offense. It doesn’t matter if you were charged for a misdemeanor in your state, it matters that you were charged for something that is a criminal offense in their country. This will stay on your record with them for at least five years. You can, however, apply for a waiver, but this does take some time.

If you are on probation or parole, or in some way have been restricted from travel outside of the United States, you will need permission from authorities to go on a cruise. Sometimes people think that a cruise to the Bahamas is fine because you leave and return to Florida. When you leave on a cruise from the United States, you are entering international waters. Make sure you check out your requirements before your cruise is in penalty.